|Division||Special Victims Unit (2019-present)|
|Precinct||One Police Plaza|
Lamai Garland (wife)
Abby Garland (daughter)
|First Appearance||"Down Low In Hell's Kitchen"|
History[edit | edit source]
Garland witnessed the protests from both pro-life and pro-choice activists after Evangeline Miller wished to get an abortion following her rape at the hands of her stepfather. He stood by Evangeline's choice and helped grant custody for her to get an abortion. (SVU: "The Burden Of Our Choices")
When a young woman was sexually assaulted and drugged, Garland assisted the Special Victims Unit with their case. He referred to Julius Adler as a false prophet and showed anger towards Adler's actions. (SVU: "We Dream Of Machine Elves")
After arresting rapist Steve Getz and his counselor Peter Abrams for blackmail, he was threatened by both Getz and Abrams. However, Garland showed no sign of backing down and firmly told the two men that they will be charged. (SVU: "Must Be Held Accountable")
When an agent with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement was arrested on rape charges, he assisted the SVU in investigating the case alongside Sergeant Hasim Khaldun. (SVU: "I Deserve Some Loving Too")
When his reverend Delman Chase was arrested on statutory rape and embezzlement charges, Garland was distraught when Chase shared his anger towards him to the media. When Chase was imprisoned for his actions, Garland visited him in prison but Chase acted psychotic, claiming the Lord was testing him and put him in prison to help his fellow prisoners follow God. Garland left Chase to serve his sentence and cried after leaving him. (SVU: "Garland's Baptism By Fire")
Garland was threatened by Judge Charles Gallagher, who was planning to become a politician, about going forward with investigating sexual assault allegations against him as well as corruption allegations. (SVU: "The Long Arm Of The Witness")
Garland worked with Benson and Lieutenant Carolyn Barek from the Bronx Special Victims Unit to track down a serial rapist who had struck in both boroughs. When the rapist turned out to be a sergeant from Barek's unit, Garland and Benson comforted Barek, who didn't know if she could continue in her line of work due to the revelations. (SVU: "Hunt, Trap, Rape and Release")
When Kathy Stabler was severely injured in a car bombing, Garland warned Benson not to allow Elliot to get involved in the case or interrogate any of the suspects involved. He later expressed his annoyance to Benson about allowing Elliot into the interrogation room and told her not to let it happen again. When Kathy died from her injuries, Garland informed Benson that SVU was no longer involved in the case. (SVU: "Return Of The Prodigal Son")
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Garland is the only Deputy Chief in the Law & Order franchise to star as a main cast member.
- Similar to Elliot Stabler, he had a father who served on the NYPD. (SVU: "Guardians and Gladiators")
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2 seasons, 15 episodes):
- Season 21: "Down Low In Hell's Kitchen" • "The Burden Of Our Choices" • "We Dream Of Machine Elves" • "Must Be Held Accountable" • "I Deserve Some Loving Too" • "Garland's Baptism By Fire"
- Season 22: "Guardians and Gladiators" • "Sightless in a Savage Land" • "The Long Arm Of The Witness" • "Hunt, Trap, Rape and Release" • "Return Of The Prodigal Son" • "Our Words Will Not Be Heard" • "In The Year We All Fell Down" • "What Can Happen In The Dark" • "Wolves In Sheep's Clothing"
- Law & Order: Organized Crime (1 season, 1 episode):
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Main Characters|