|←||SVU, Episode 8.02||→|
|Production number: 08003|
First aired: 26 September 2006
| Written By|
A seventeen-year-old with the features of a little girl is kidnapped. Stabler sees parallels with his own daughter, and must deal with a new partner.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The detectives investigate a case where two teenagers, 13-year-old Connor and 17-year-old Janey, have turned up missing after a school field trip to a museum. They soon discover that Janey has a genetic condition called Turner's Syndrome in which she looks younger than her actual age. Although it is later discovered that Connor faked his own kidnapping ransom to get money, Janey is still missing and the detectives discover a side of her that surprises them.
Plot[edit | edit source]
At a field trip in a museum, two students, Connor Wesley and Janey Speer end up missing. While the detectives are interviewing the students, they find out that Janey is actually a 17-year-old student with Turner's Syndrome. She appears younger than other students of her age and the detectives become worried that a pedophile has abducted them both. The detectives soon finds out that Connor snuck out while their teacher wasn't paying attention and fabricated an abduction and ransom because he had lost some money. However, he has no idea of Janey's whereabouts.
The detectives interview Janey's grandfather who informs them that Janey has limited access to the internet and could not have run away with a man she met online. After checking the museum surveillance footage, they notice Janey meeting with an older woman. They identify the woman as Maiah Graves, Janey's birth mother who is battling for custody of her. Maia denies abducting Janey and believes that the true perpetrator is Janey's father, Nathan Speer. The detectives return to the Speer residence and look over the surveillance footage. They notice an unknown man entering, taking the Speers' car, and driving off.
Doctor Warner calls Stabler to inform him that she found a gel containing testerone in Janey's backpack which had been thrown into a dumpster. A doctor had prescribed the gel to Janey to increase her sex drive and treat Turner's. Maia had consented to Janey using the gel, believing that her daughter is a grown woman and should not be treated as a child. Stabler notices Maia's laptop and she informs him that she allowed Janey to access to her laptop. Morales discovers that Janey contacted a Dan O'Shell, the man who had taken the Speer's car. O'Shell explains that Janey had given him a copy of the car key and paid him to drop her off at a park. Though the detectives are confused as to why Janey would set this elaborate ruse up, Huang theorizes that a pedophile has manipulated her and has found a way to legally have sexual intercourse with a girl who resembles a 12-year-old girl.
After interviewing Nathan, they unearth call records between him and a travel agent. The travel agent informs Stabler and Tutuola that Nathan was interested in tickets to tropical islands and came in with Janey. When Stabler shows her a family picture, she identifies Speer's assistant, Greg Hartley, as Janey's father, revealing the true perpetrator. The detectives track them down to a hotel that is closed for renovations. There they find an unconscious Janey and Hartley. The detectives arrest Hartley for the kidnapping and rape of Janey while she is taken to the hospital. The doctor reveals to Janey's parents that Janey showed no signs of rape and that her hospitalization was due to an incorrect dosage of a fertility drug. Janey tells her parents that she and Hartley are in love and that she wants to start a family with him. She is determined to move out and live with him, angering her father and grandfather. As a last minute hail mary, Stabler and Tutuola suggest that Nathan go to family court and convince the judge that Janey is not competent to leave home by filing a PINS petition. The judge of the trial ultimately rules that Janey is capable of leaving home and she is free to go with Hartley. As they kiss outside, a detective approaches them and attempts to arrest Hartley. Stabler intervenes and the detective finally introduces herself as Dani Beck, Stabler's new partner.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main cast[edit | edit source]
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson (credit only)
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
Recurring cast[edit | edit source]
- Connie Nielsen as Detective Dani Beck
- Isabel Gillies as Kathy Stabler
- Joel de la Fuente as T.A.R.U. Technician Ruben Morales
- Stephen Gregory as Dr. Kyle Beresford
- Stephen Henderson as Judge Bernard
- Caren Browning as CSU Captain Judith Siper
- Betty Buckley as Attorney Walsh
- Allison Siko as Kathleen Stabler
- Kevin Kolack as EMT Butler
Guest cast[edit | edit source]
- Gregory Harrison as Nathan Speer
- Betsy Hogg as Janey Speer
- Deborah Raffin as Maia Graves
- Jason Butler Harner as Greg Hartley
- Larry Pine as Attorney Van Allen
- Robert Vaughn as Tate Speer
- Patrick Boll as Dr. Shulman
- Chella Ferrow as Annabelle Paz
- Patrick Joseph Byrnes as Dan O'Shell
- Jennifer Lim as Ms. Phillips
- Daniel Farcher as Connor Wesley
- Peter Anthony Tambakis as Paul
- Nick Cubbler as Bob Petri
- Jeremy Bergman as Andy Lema
- Kathryn Faughnan as Violet Knight
- Steven Vago as Jake Taylor
- Mark Keller as Student
- Katie Condidorio as Kayla Stephens
- January LaVoy as Megan
- Lamont Clark as Garage Attendant
References[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Kathleen [to Elliot]: I hate you!
- Fin: Everything okay?
- Elliot: Man, you're lucky you don't have daughters.
- Maia Graves: [about Janey] She's very strong-willed.
- Elliot: What does that mean? You're the parent. You're in charge.
- Kathy: Why haven't you signed the divorce papers? It's been months, Elliot. You won't talk to me. You won't talk to my lawyer. The kids are asking if we're getting back together. I've run out of things to say.
- Elliot: What do you want?
- Kathy: An answer.
- Elliot: I don't know.
- Kathy: Well, I guess that's an answer.
Background information and notes[edit | edit source]
Episode scene cards[edit | edit source]
Ol' Whiskey's Pub
Top of the Line
Mercy General Hospital
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit