|←||SVU, Episode 9.19||→|
|Production number: 9019|
First aired: 13 May 2008
| Written By|
Detective Lake is accused of killing a police officer, and SVU soon discovers that he has been investigating a 10-year-old cold rape case without anyone's knowledge, a situation that leads to a violent showdown and also costs Casey Novak.
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Sergeant John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang (credit only)
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Mike Doyle as C.S.U. Detective Ryan O'Halloran
- Joanna Merlin as Judge Lena Petrovsky
- Caren Browning as C.S.U. Captain Judith Siper
- Judith Light as Judge Elizabeth Donnelly
- Viola Davis as Defense Attorney Donna Emmett
- Philip Levy as Desk Officer Fineman
- Eric Morace as ESU Lieutenant
- Deirdre Lovejoy as Penelope Fielding
- Victoria Cartagena as Cecelia Cruz
- Jack Gwaltney as Officer Thomas Crane
- Brian Tarantina as Bill Jensen
- Anthony Ruiz as Hector Hernandez
- Robert Turano as Detective Wesley Meadows
- Torsten N. Hillhouse as Detective Dave Foster
- Lawrence Ballard as Defense Attorney Brett Smith
- Eva Kaminsky as Mary Kralik
- Ira Hawkins as Detective
- Sandra Berrios as Supervisor
- Arthur Gerunda as Inspector
- Tony Naumovski as Agent #1
- Charles Caliendo as Cop
- Tyree Michael Simpson as Man #1
- John Lederer as Man #2
- Sharon Maguire as Foreman
- Ken Schwarz as Juror #2
- Eric S. Kuhn as Juror #3
- Casey Novak: What are you selling, Brett?
- Brett Smith: Criminal Defense.
- Casey Novak: Yeah, hard to imagine.
- Brett Smith: You've worked sex crimes longer than most and you're still passionate, we need you.
- Casey Novak: Yeah, well, it's harder to care when your clients are guilty.
- Brett Smith: Ours are accused of SEC violations, not diddling some 4 year old on the playground.
- Casey Novak: Look, I'm sorry. I have to go.
- Bret Smith: No more late night calls, no more rape victims and dead kids. How do you sleep at night?
- Casey Novak: I don't.
|“||Tread easy. Everybody is already heated enough.||”|
- Tutuola: What's going on in Philly?
- Lake: Really good cheesesteaks.
- Lake: Are you interrogating me, detective?
- Stabler: No. I'm watching you drown.
- Warner: I see the circus is in town.
- Stabler: What do you expect? When cops shoot each other, clowns come out. It's entertainment.
- Tutuola: Do you know everything about Olivia?
- Stabler: No, but I'd notice if she disappeared once a month.
- Lake: I'm not used to sitting to take a leak.
- Tutuola: That's the price of turning a vacant lot into the OK Corral.
- Cragen: Olivia, Elliot...my office.
- Novak: You think you could manage to read Detective Lake his rights?
- Stabler: I miss something?
- Novak: I specifically told you not to question him. He's under the 48-hour rule and shielded from interrogation.
- Stabler: Don't worry. He didn't say anything.
- Novak: Yeah, and lucky for you. Because if he talked, it would've been inadmissible and under immunity.
- Stabler: Okay, so how are we supposed to put this down when most crimes are solved within the first 48?
- Novak: You know what? That's not my problem. So you either follow orders, or just stay out of the way.
- Tutuola: Dumping my phones was a bitch move, Stabler.
- Stabler: Yeah, I called him. I didn't think he'd run.
- Tutuola: You should've stayed out of it.
- Benson: Take it easy.
- Tutuola: He's my partner.
- Stabler: Who you helped evade arrest.
- Cragen: Dial it down or you're both going on report. Lake is not our problem anymore. The fugitive apprehension team will take it from here.
- Tutuola: All those guys do is workout and shoot guns. They're gonna kill Lake.
- Cragen: Well, that's not how FAT works, Detective.
- Tutuola: Kralik's got a lot of friends on the street that'd like to see Lake dead. You gotta at least let me look.
- Stabler: Where you gonna start? You don't even know the guy.
- Tutuola: I know he didn't do it.
- Stabler: Three bullet holes in the victim's back say different.
- Tutuola: You ever think the force behind the first two spun Kralik? We're trained to keep firing till the subject is down.
- Tutuola: News reports are saying Lake took a hostage. Who gave them that?
- Stabler: How about your partner after he took Cecelia Cruz with a warrant on his ass?
- Benson: All Lake had to do was ID the shooter.
- Stabler: You can't be sure that he saw him. It was dark out, there were bullets flying.
- Benson: What is your problem?
- Stabler: He didn't trust us.
- Benson: And maybe for good reason.
- Stabler: Look, all the evidence pointed to his guilty.
- Benson: Which means that we should've taken a hard look at Lake, not Fin.
- Stabler: Oh, so I shouldn't have dumped his phones?
- Benson: Fin's a straight shooter, Elliot. All you had to do was ask him. I think you need to make this right.
|“||Squeeze that trigger, you'll be dead before the slug leaves the pipe.||”|
–Stabler stopping Thomas Crane from shooting Lake
- Novak: The jury's looking at my witness like she did something wrong.
- Waner: People feel strongly about immigration on both sides.
- Novak: That's why your forensic testimony needs to be solid. Is this partial profile enough to say he's a match?
- Warner: Yes, but it leaves you wide open on rebuttal.
- Novak: Okay, why?
- Warner: All human cells except platelets have 13 loci. The semen the lab tested presented only nine, which means it was significantly degraded.
- Novak: I'll need probabilities as to the DNA match for Crane.
- Warner: I can't give them with what we have.
- Novak: Okay, without it, he walks. Thomas Crane raped and murdered a young girl, and we gave him the badge to hide behind while he did it.
- Warner: I know what you want me to say, but the science doesn't support it.
- Novak: When the defense gets these lab reports, they might have enough for reasonable doubt. Can you live with that?
- Warner: If I have to, because I sure as hell won't risk my reputation for a verdict we didn't earn.
- Donna Emmett: Two shooters. You must be a hard man to kill.
- Chester Lake: Well, I was lucky.
- Emmett: You call the lab to move the evidence. What were you told by the desk officer?
- Lake: That I needed a boss to request it.
- Emmett: Was that all you were told?
- Lake: I don't recall.
- Emmett: You weren't told that the evidence was too degraded and contaminated for testing?
- Lake: No.
- Emmett: Objection. Your Honor, I call for an immediate mistrial. There's a serious cover-up going on here, and I have proof that this witness perjured himself, and the prosecution violated Brady.
- Novak: Your Honor, that's ridiculous. no one lied. Counsel is accusing my office of conspiracy in front of the jury just to score points.
- Petrovsky: Enough! In my chambers now.
- Stabler: Look, the situation got a little heated and I want to say I'm sorry about that.
- Tutuola: You're a bulldog, Stabler. Quick to assume, slow to admit when you're wrong. Makes for a good cop, but a lousy human being.
- Benson: Fin, hear him out.
- Tutuola: Stay out of it, Liv. That being said, I know what it cost you.
- Stabler: Appreciate that.
- Tutuola: I'm not done. The problem is you will still be the same rat bastard tomorrow, and nothing you say will ever change that.
Background information and notes
- This is the final appearance of Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake.
- This is also the final appearance of Diane Neal as A.D.A Casey Novak until "Reparations," the 21st episode of season 12.
- Goof: Early in the episode, it is stated that Alisa's killer used a condom, but the rape kit contains a semen sample from Thomas Crane.
Episode scene cards
Mercy General Hospital
Office of the
Darraty's Fruit Packing
Stebor Clothing Designs
Trial Part 46
Trial Part 46
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|