|←||L&O, Episode 10.11||→|
|Production number: E1116|
First aired: 26 January 2000
| Teleplay By|
Gerry Conway & William N. Fordes
The investigation of a schizophrenic woman's death leads to a case involving a homeless man and his right to refuse medication.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Ed Green
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Angie Harmon as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Tovah Feldshuh as Defense Attorney Danielle Melnick
- Pippa Pearthree as Judge Esther Morrow
- J.K. Simmons as Dr. Emil Skoda
- Marcia Jean Kurtz as Myrna Bauer
- Joseph Hindy as Phil Bauer
- Roberta Maxwell as Teresa Brewster
- Bill Marcus as Ron Brewster
- Seth Barrish as Harvey Bower
- Madison Arnold as Patrick Clarke
- Jonathan Epstein as Samuel Isaacson
- David Brummel as Kyle Bryant
- Mitchell Greenberg as Dr. Barry Samuels
- Firdous Bamji as Dr. Naim
- Geoffrey Cantor as Dr. Luther Wilding
- Robertson Carricart as Ben Winston
- Jarlath Conroy as Father Royce
- Walt MacPherson as Larry Stedler
- David Mucci as Joe Miller
- Myra Lucretia Taylor as Donna
- Mary Beth O'Connor as Megan Stone
- Jim O'Connor as Dr. Knight
- Don Leslie as Louie Farp
- Marty Grabstein as Bob
- Lee Michael Buckman as Mr. Jacobi
- Lois Robbins as Mattie Kellerman
- Ken Land as Burt Kellerman
- Jack McCormack as Sergeant
- Vincent Lorusso as Shooting Policeman
- Mark Casella as Uniform Policeman
- Officer: Couple in an apartment across the street heard some screaming and called 911.
- Lennie Briscoe: Concerned citizens. Must be new in town. When was this?
- Ed Green: You want us to throw this back to the 3-1?
- Anita Van Buren: Unless you've got a block of free time I don't know about.
- Lennie Briscoe: Latent pulled some prints off the glasses--Karen Brewster. Female Caucasian. 38 years old.
- Ed Green: What's she in the system for?
- Lennie Briscoe: Misdemeanor loitering. Picked up during one of his honor's neighborhood sweeps a couple years back. She gave an address in Brooklyn. What'd the lieutenant have to say?
- Ed Green: She said run with it.
- Doctor: When they brought him in, he told me he'd been hit by a blow dart from an assassin hired by Bill Gates.
- Abbie Carmichael: Why would he think that?
- Doctor: Steve Jobs told him.
|“||When I was a boy, my uncle in Tehran talked to the Moon. But he only talked to the Moon when my grandfather told him he must leave and find work.||”|
|“||There's a fine line between theory and diagnosis.||”|
–Dr. Emil Skoda
- Danielle Melnick: What you get is somebody that is not competent to stand trial.
- Jack McCoy: The hell he isn't. Put him back on his medication.
- Danielle Melnick: Yeah, you do that, you'll be in contempt. I'm filing for a T.R.O. barring you from medicating my client against his will.
- Jack McCoy: You want him like this?
- Danielle Melnick: It's what he wants. Then I'm filing for a permanent injunction prohibiting this trial from proceeding. Look, McCoy, my client may be legally sane, but that doesn't mean he's not crazy.
- Abbie Carmichael: I'm not comfortable with the idea of our just shoving pills down a man's throat.
- Jack McCoy: I'm surprised, Abbie. If he ran away to another state, we'd extradite him. The fact that he's escaped into his own mind, shouldn't put him beyond our reach.
- Ed Green: She hasn't been here in awhile?
- Superintendent: I told you: her parents slip me a few bucks to keep an eye on her. You know they pay the rent, too; they tell you that? She's doin' fine until a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen her in maybe a month.
- Lennie Briscoe: Sounds like the Brewsters were gettin' their money's worth.
Background information and notes
Episode scene cards
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|