|←||SVU, Episode 16.20||→|
|Production number: 16020|
First aired: 29 April 2015
| Teleplay By|
Julie Martin & Ed Zuckerman
Warren Leight & Matt Olmstead
Chicago and New York police continue the investigation into an unsolved rape and murder case.
Benson and Voight lead their teams in the investigation of a rape/murder case that is frighteningly similar to a case from New York a decade ago. When forced to release their main suspect, the Chicago PD joins the SVU in New York in pursuit of Dr. Greg Yates.
- Mariska Hargitay as Sergeant Olivia Benson
- Danny Pino as Detective Nick Amaro
- Kelli Giddish as Detective Amanda Rollins
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- Peter Scanavino as Detective Dominick Carisi, Jr.
- Raúl Esparza as A.D.A. Rafael Barba
- Jason Beghe as Sergeant Hank Voight
- Sophia Bush as Detective Erin Lindsay
- Jesse Lee Soffer as Detective Jay Halstead
- Jenna Stern as Judge Elana Barth
- Jacqueline Hendy as Defense Attorney Sofia Crane
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dallas Roberts as Dr. Greg Yates
- Mary Bacon as Susie Frain
- Stella Maeve as Nadia Decotis
- Jen Ponton as Layla
- Marina Squerciati as Officer Kim Burgess
- Brian Geraghty as Officer Sean Roman
- Darryl Knight as Bo
- P.J. Powers as Glen
- Rachel Neiheisel as Renee Walden
- Ozzie Stewart as Lisa
- Aja Frary as Nila Green
- Fiona Horrigan as Forewoman
- Scott Eliasoph as Juror (uncredited)
- Dr. Yates: [after examining photographs of Nadia's death] Doctor, could Miss Decotis' injuries have been caused by her prostitution?
- Dr. Warner: It's unlikely. She was savaged.
- Dr. Yates: Savaged, you say? How so?
- Dr. Warner: In addition to the blunt trauma and strangulation, there were cuts on her nipples and external genitalia.
- Dr. Yates: And her anal sphincter, was that torn?
- Dr. Warner: Yes, it was.
- Dr. Yates: And these injuries, though not fatal, they would've been painful?
- Dr. Warner: Very. She died a slow death.
- Dr. Yates: How long did she survive after the first attack started?
- Dr. Warner: 30 minutes. Maybe longer.
- Dr. Yates: And she would've been in agony all through it?
- Judge Barth: Mr. Barba, not to put words in your mouth, but I'm willing to entertain an objection if you have one.
- Barba: I'm fine, your honor.
- Dr. Yates: Doctor, was she in a lot of pain?
- Dr. Warner: Yes. I'm sure she was.
- Dr. Yates: Were there signs of struggle?
- Dr. Warner: Yes. The skin was torn around the ligature marks.
- Dr. Yates: What goes through a victim's head in their final moments?
- Crane: Your honor, may I please speak with my client?
- Dr. Yates: No, I'm not done here.
- Crane: Short recess.
- Dr. Yates: Sit down.
- [Crane takes her seat]
- Dr. Yates: [to Dr. Warner] Back to Nadia. Would the terror, the fear, have flooded her with adrenaline?
- Dr. Warner: I can't answer that.
- Dr. Yates: Would she have awareness of what was going on? Would she understand that these were the final moments of her life?
- [Dr. Warner remains silent]
- Dr. Yates: Come on! Doctor, we are both medical people! Use your knowledge!
- [he suddenly looks around and sees that the entire courtroom is staring at him]
- Dr. Yates: [nervously] Or... Or don't.
Background information and notes
- This episode is part of a crossover event that begins with the Chicago Fire episode "We Called Her Jellybean", continues with the Chicago P.D. episode "The Number of Rats" and concludes with this episode.
- A special opening narration was used for this episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Chicago P.D.:
- "In the criminal justice system some killers are so depraved that it takes multiple police agencies to bring them to justice. This is one of those investigations."
- Title refers to the same-named John Stewart-composed chart-topper for The Monkees (their third and last) from 1967.
Episode scene cards
- This crossover adopted the Law & Order style of using scene cards both for the SVU and Chicago P.D. episodes.
The Number of Rats
23-54 96th Street
Pelham Bay Park
| Previous episode:|
| "Daydream Believer"|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|