|←||CI, Episode 4.05||→|
|Production number: E5401|
First aired: 24 October 2004
| Teleplay By|
Stephanie Sengupta & René Balcer
Detectives Goren and Eames investigate the death of a prominent atheist leader who is kidnapped, ransomed and murdered.
The murder of a kidnapped prominent atheist and one of her captors forces an investigation of the battle between her atheist son and her religious one. Goren and Eames come to realize, though, that the story a fellow kidnap victim who survived the incident told doesn't seem to hold up.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Mara Hobel as April Callaway
- Tom Riis Farrell as Reverend Douglas Callaway
- Henry Stram as Wayne Callaway
- Frank Whaley as Mitch Godel
- Rita Gardner as Eleanor Callaway
- Michael Luggio as Larry Hastings
- Linda Powell as Ms. Ramone
- Ross Haines as Detective Riascos
- Adam Way as Sven Eric
- Steve Nuke as Claude Worrell
- Glynis Bell as Martha Maxwell
- Eric Morace as Mr. Greely
- Ray Crisara as CSU Roberts
- Richard DeDomenico as Otto Berkowitz
- Samuel Ray Gates as Detective Tamblyn
- T.J. Mannix as Disciple
- Krista Allen as Althea
- J. Teddy Garces as Jake
- Robert Goren: Well, she didn't believe in heaven and hell, so how would she know the devil was massaging her neck?
- Ron Carver: Congratulations, you've managed to unite atheists and Christians in common cause against police harassment.
- Alexandra Eames: We do what we can.
- Ron Carver: What you seem to be doing is playing musical suspects.
- Robert Goren: Kidnapping his own mother and daughter. Looks like prison converted the Reverend.
Background information and notes
- The episode title "Eosphoros" comes from the Greek name for the morning star. Eosphoros means "bringer of dawn," and was their name for the planet Venus when it appeared in the eastern or morning sky. "Morning Star", in Christian theology, is also one of the names of Lucifer, the archangel cast from heaven for leading a revolt of angels against God.
- This episode seems inspired by Madalyn Murray O'Hair case. One of the greatest atheist voices she was kidnapped and mutilated along with her son Jon Murray and granddaughter Robin Murray O'Hair, by the former American Atheist office manager David Roland Waters.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
"In the Dark"