|"For Love or Money"|
|←||L&O, Episode 12.03||→|
|Production number: E2207|
First aired: 10 October 2001
| Written By|
Wendy Battles & Sean Jablonski
A career criminal is murdered, and the investigation leads detectives to a manipulative widow who may have hired the victim to murder her husband.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Ed Green
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Elisabeth Röhm as A.D.A. Serena Southerlyn
- Dianne Wiest as Interim D.A. Nora Lewin
- Jordan Charney as Judge Donald Karan
- Leslie Denniston as Elizabeth Dumas
- Paul Diomede as Paul Kasperski
- Jack Gilpin as Mr. Axtell
- Mark Margolis as Frankie Polito
- Michael Medeiros as Vince Renalfi
- Mimi Michaels as Heather Denslow
- Katherine Moennig as Melissa Cobin
- Maggie Moore as Angela McDowell
- Cathy Moriarty as Lorraine Cobin
- Andrea Navedo as Detective Ana Cordova
- Kathleen Patane as Dr. Ambroggio
- Frank Santorelli as Freddy Gallo
- Richard Topol as Lloyd Neal
- Wiley Wisdom as Nick Claussen
- Jason Wise as Bobby Cobin
- Lia Yang as Tim Park
- Mark Schulte as Corrections Officer
- Daniel Saltzman as Martin
- Tommy Nohilly as Bartender
- Joseph La Rocca as Tom
- Joel Leffert as Jeff
- Stephaney Lloyd as Foreperson
- Jake M. Smith as Derek
- Melissa Cobin: How could you have killed him?
- Lorraine Cobin: The man was a thug! Every time I turned around he was there with his hand out.
- Melissa Cobin: I'm not talking about Buck, I'm talking about Alan...I thought you loved him!
- Lorraine Cobin: Sweetheart - you didn't have to sleep with him...Let's just drop this whole subject, OK? That part of our lives is over with!
- Melissa Cobin: You're wrong...
- Lorraine Cobin: What are you talking about?!
- Melissa Cobin: Look at the dock (where McCoy and a sound technician are standing), mother...
- Lorraine Cobin: You little bitch!
- Melissa Cobin: I had a good teacher...
Background information and notes
This episode is likely based on the 1982 murder of Werner Hartmann, which was arranged by his wife, Debra Hartmann. Hartmann, a boyfriend, and the man who shot Hartmann were convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and mail/wire fraud for attempting to cheat life insurance companies out of $800,000 in benefits.
| Previous episode:|
| "For Love or Money"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|
"Soldier of Fortune"