|←||SVU, Episode 8.15||→|
|Production number: 08013|
First aired: 20 February 2007
| Written By|
The search for a missing baby is complicated when the child's mother commits suicide.
Elliot investigates the case of a missing baby, Kendall Kozlowski, after he is discovered missing from his home by his mother, Laura. After being questioned by overzealous TV reporter Cindy Marino, who accuses Laura of killing her child, Laura is pushed too far and commits suicide. The case soon leads to two different fathers who have a connection to Kendall. The man who the detectives believed kidnapped Kendall sues Stabler and Novak civilly for their interference and Judge Donnelly defends them. During the trial, something that the man says causes Stabler to find evidence of the kidnapping and they make a deal with him where he drops the suit and serves one to three years in prison in exchange for giving up his parental rights to Kendall. Kendall is then given to the man that Laura had wanted to have him, Dan Kozlowski.
The case leads questions for Olivia to find out about her own family history and soon discovers that she has a brother.
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch (credit only)
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola (credit only)
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang (credit only)
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- David Thornton as Defense Attorney Lionel Granger
- Mike Doyle as C.S.U. Detective Ryan O'Halloran
- Joel de la Fuente as T.A.R.U. Technician Ruben Morales
- Ali Reza as Dr. Rohit Mehta
- Judith Light as Judge Elizabeth Donnelly
- Linda Powell as Lauren White
- Ashley Williams as Laura Kozlowski
- Pablo Schreiber as Dan Kozlowski
- Dana Ashbrook as James "Paddy" Kendall
- Kali Rocha as Cindy Marino
- Kathleen Chalfant as Judge Cutress
- Jack O'Connell as George Kendall
- Marian Seldes as Peggy Kendall
- Stephen Guarino as Garrett
- Santo Fazio as Bernardo
- Tom Bruno as Firefighter Wilcox
- David Pinon as Firefighter Teague
- Amber Gray as Raye
- Jamila Webb as College Girl
- Lindsay Michelle Nader as Gina
- David Abeles as Guest #1
- Kandiss Edmundson as Guest #2
- Mike C. Waldron as Highway Uniform Officer
- Charles Caliendo as ESU Lieutenant
- Robert J. Giannetta as ESU Sergeant
- Keisha Alfred as Reporter
- Captain Cragen: Ms. Marino must be here for the obligatory grieving-mother footage.
- Elliot Stabler: Nothing like a parent's worst nightmare for must-see TV.
- Captain Cragen [after seeing Cindy Marino's interview with Laura Kozlowski]: If we did that to Laura, we'd have every victim's rights group in the country picketing the station house.
- Cindy Marino: Stabler! Did Laura leave a note? A confession? Is the Kendall case closed now that the prime suspect is dead?
- Stabler: You are the devil, you know that?
- Cindy Marino: Just doing my job. Someone has to ask the tough questions when the cops don't have the balls. [Stabler turns as if to hit her]
- Captain Cragen [holding Stabler back]: Elliot. Come on. Let it go. Let it go. Come on.
- Cindy Marino: Detective Stabler! Is it true that Kendall Kozlowski has been found?
- Stabler: [to another reporter] You want an exclusive?
- Reporter: You bet!
- Stabler: Contrary to Channel Ten reporter Cindy Marino's libelous accusations, Laura Kozlowski did not kill her son Kendall. He's been found alive.
- Judge Donnelly: Well, according to the suit, you conspired with Detective Stabler to deprive Paddy Kendall of his civil and constitutional rights. Did you?
- Casey Novak: No.
- Judge Donnelly: Pity. Guy sounds like a douchebag. But his suit has merit.
- Casey Novak: So what are we supposed to do? Just sit back and let him take everything we've got?
- Judge Donnelly: You get yourself a lawyer. Today.
- Stabler: The city represents cops.
- Judge Donnelly: You trust a civil servant to save your house and your pension?
- Casey Novak: Well, what choice do we have? [Judge Donnelly smirks]
- Judge Donnelly [to Paddy Kendall at Civil Court trial]: Congratulations on keeping your record clean. I'm sure you'll agree that just means you haven't been caught.
- Judge Cutress: Elizabeth, you know better.
Background information and notes
- This episode features Pablo Schreiber's first Law & Order: Special Victims Unit role as Dan Kozlowski. Schreiber would later go on to have a recurring role as serial rapist William Lewis in Seasons 14 and 15.
- "Needle in a haystack" is an expression used to denote a hunt for a crucial item or piece of information amidst an entanglement of complications or uncanny, ordinary things that make it hard for the focus object to stand out. The phrase makes the analogy that a sewing needle is so small and thin that it can't easily be found deep in a pile of hay.
Episode scene cards
Office of the
Sing Sing Prison
Firehouse Number 51
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit