Katriona Azar "Kat" Tamin is a former detective with the Special Victims Unit. She was formerly an officer for the Vice Squad. (SVU: "I'm Going To Make You a Star") Following a shooting in 2021, she decided to take a leave from the NYPD. (SVU:"Never Turn Your Back On Them")
Katriona was first seen assisting the Special Victims Unit with capturing serial rapist Tobias Moore. She went undercover as an aspiring actress looking for a role in his movie. In the process, she was brutally assaulted and almost raped, but was rescued in time. (SVU: "I'm Going To Make You a Star")
Katriona eventually transferred to the Special Victims Unit and became a detective. Benson gave her a free desk and warmly welcomed her. Straight away, she investigated her first case with the Special Victims Unit, involving a runaway teenager. (SVU: "The Burden Of Our Choices")
Katriona worked with a transgender woman named Lakira Beca who had been raped, but was later dismissed from the case and replaced by Benson. She later mentioned that, as a child, she hated naps and that she had never wanted to miss anything. (SVU: "At Midnight In Manhattan")
Katriona went undercover as a jogger in order to uncover a sex trafficking ring run by a spa owner. She later accompanied one of the victims to court, but when she noticed she was taking too long in the bathroom, she went to investigate, only to discover that she had committed suicide after her mother had been threatened. (SVU: "Counselor, It's Chinatown")
When a man named Steve Getz was accused of grooming Detective Frank Bucci's teenage daughters Ivy and Milly, Katriona went undercover as the girls' aunt against Benson's orders in an attempt to catch Getz in the act. (SVU: "Can't Be Held Accountable")
Katriona became heavily involved in an alleged rape case involving her boxing coach Romeo Solís, which she launched an investigation into after suspecting he was in an intimate relationship with a teenage student which soon became a murder case after another student punched Romeo dead. She stepped over the line several times, which resulted in her being sternly chastised by a disapproving Benson. (SVU: "Redemption In Her Corner")
Katriona was disturbed by a a corrupt reverend preying on teenage victims in his church and paying off them for their silence. She and the others interview the girls about the checks before realizing there was nothing benevolent about them and wonder who would tell Chief Garland because he was friends with Chase.(SVU: "Garland's Baptism By Fire")
Katriona found herself disgusted with a serial rapist who used dating apps to meet his victims before drugging them so he could rape them. She also expressed her concern about people like him, saying that she frequently dates both men and women on dating apps. (SVU: "Solving For The Unknowns")
Beca got in touch with Tamin again after her rapist Paul Davies had raped another transgender woman named Dakota Knight which had resulted in her dying from her injuries. Tamin arrested Davies for the rape and was glad to finally get justice for Beca. She attended a vigil for Dakota and was thanked by Beca for her help. (SVU: "The Things We Have To Lose")
Tamin spent New Year's Eve 2020 with a date named Céline Tatou. Upon arriving, Céline flirted with her, seductively calling her an officer. Tamin responded saying she wasn't tonight and that she was off duty. However, while romantically dancing with Céline, Tamin got an amber alert. She told Céline she had to go, which disappointed Céline. (SVU: "Sightless in a Savage Land")
Her rocky relationship with Carisi became more intense during a case involving a pornographer who had been raped by one of her viewers. Carisi's outlook on the case angered Tamin, who felt sorry for the victim. When Carisi informed Tamin and Benson that the rapist had been imprisoned for seven years, Tamin was furious that it was such a short sentence, which infuriated Carisi. Benson told Tamin to take a few days off and that it had been a rough week, to which Tamin snapped, telling Benson off for suggesting taking time off. She then told Carisi and Benson that the victim deserved to feel safe again. (SVU: "Turn Me On Take Me Private")
When her cousin Lily Bustani is raped by her boyfriend Xavier Garcia, Lily came to Tamin asking for help. However, Lily decided to drop the charges against Xavier and start dating him again. (SVU: "The Only Way Out Is Through")
Tamin introduced herself to Elliot Stabler following Kathy's hospitalization from a car bombing. She later expressed her concerns to Sergeant Odafin Tutuola about his involvement in the case due to his rocky past with suspects. (SVU: "Return Of The Prodigal Son")
Tamin found herself disturbed by a case involving a psychopath named Henry Mesner who had been released from juvenile detention and had gone on a killing spree as well as having raped and tortured a young woman. (SVU: "Post-Graduate Psychopath")
During a case, Tamin was shot, almost resulting in her death. After gaining consciousness, she told Tutuola that she was unsure she wanted to work in law enforcement anymore. After being discharged from hospital, Tamin quit the NYPD, hoping to try a new career that would still help victims. (SVU: "Never Turn Your Back On Them")
Katriona is extremely eager to work and prove to her colleagues that she can do her job. She is determined to bring criminals to justice even if it means getting herself assaulted or harassed and sometimes steps over the line despite her good intentions. She is very sympathetic with victims and becomes annoyed when their attackers are given short sentences. She also hates when police officers do unprofessional work with victims, often calling them out on it. While she and Carisi have had problems with each others work methods, they have slowly reached neutral terms and are more friendly towards each other.
- Katriona resides in The Bronx, New York. (SVU: "I'm Going To Make You a Star")
- Katriona is very athletic, being a fast jogger as well as a boxer.
- Katriona is bisexual and frequently dates both men and women on dating apps. (SVU: "Solving For The Unknowns")
- Katriona is the second LGBTQIA main character on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, the first being George Huang. She is also the first LGBTQIA main detective, the third overall LGBTQIA main character in the Law & Order franchise, and the first bisexual main character.
- Katriona grew up in the Gowanus Housing Projects. (SVU: "Murdered at a Bad Address")
- She speaks some Mandarian, Cantonese, and Hokkien Chinese. (SVU: "Counselor, It's Chinatown")
- The only person from the original squad that Katriona has met besides Benson is Stabler.
- Just like Jamie Gray Hyder, who portrays her, Katriona is Lebanese-American.
- Katriona is the only main character on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit to appear in every episode she's credited in.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (3 seasons, 36 episodes):
- Season 21: "I'm Going To Make You a Star" • "The Burden Of Our Choices" • "At Midnight In Manhattan" • "Murdered at a Bad Address" • "Counselor, It's Chinatown" • "We Dream Of Machine Elves" • "Can't Be Held Accountable" • "Must Be Held Accountable" • "She Paints For Vengeance" • "The Longest Night Of Rain" • "Redemption In Her Corner" • "I Deserve Some Loving Too" • "Swimming With The Sharks" • "Eternal Relief From Pain" • "Dance, Lies and Video Tape" • "Garland's Baptism By Fire" • "Solving For The Unknowns" • "The Things We Have To Lose"
- Season 22: "Guardians and Gladiators" • "Ballad Of Dwight and Irena" • "Remember Me In Quarantine" • "Sightless in a Savage Land" • "Turn Me On Take Me Private" • "The Long Arm Of The Witness" • "Hunt, Trap, Rape and Release" • "The Only Way Out Is Through" • "Return Of The Prodigal Son" • "Welcome to the Pedo Motel" • "Our Words Will Not Be Heard" • "In The Year We All Fell Down" • "Trick-Rolled At The Moulin'" • "Post-Graduate Psychopath" • "What Can Happen In The Dark" • "Wolves In Sheep's Clothing"
- Season 23: "And The Empire Strikes Back" • "Never Turn Your Back On Them"
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Main Characters|