|←||CI, Episode 1.19||→|
|Production number: E2122|
First aired: 21 April 2002
| Written By|
Goren and Eames investigate the murder of a Russian mobster's daughter who was about to write a revealing book.
Ilana Yushka is murdered. Her head is decapitated and sent in a package to her publisher. She had written a book about the Russian mob which led to her father's imprisonment. Initially, everyone thinks she was taken out because she was written a second book about the mob. She was indeed writing a second book but it was about her old friend Kenneth Strick. The Russian mob had actually planned on killing her but Kenneth Strick had beaten them to it.
Ilana and Kenneth attended a boarding school for affluent troubled and/or mischievous young adults and she learned a secret of his in their youth which she decided to write a book about in her later years for some quick cash. It turns out that Kenneth Strick not only was a fan of cross-dressing but that he put ant poison in his mother's lemonade when he was a young boy. He was mad at her for getting pregnant with his new step-dad and didn't want another baby. He hid in the cabinet under the sink as she slowly died and called for help and remained there until police found him. Goren eventually persuades Kenneth Strick to admit to the truth by returning him to the scene of his mother's death, their old house.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- David Thornton as Kenneth Strick
- Veanne Cox as Martha Strick
- Damian Young as George Tate
- Alla Kliouka Schaffer as Ilana Yushka
- Antonia Rey as Maggie Mendez
- Worth Howe as Sheriff Lund
- George Bartenieff as John Nemetz
- Sharron Bower as Sylvie Clark
- Richard V. Licata as Dominic Castellana
- Peter Wise as Agent Britton
- Edward James Hyland as Lieutenant Wallace
- Martin Moran as Ilana's Publisher
- Ylfa Edelstein as Oleg's Girlfriend
- Eleanor Glockner as Helen
- Nina Savinski as Yelena
- Elizabeth Ostrovsky as Sasha
- Wendy Spero as Allison
- Jacques Sandulescu as Boris
- Sasha Nesterov as Older Mobster
- Mark Bezinyan as Young Mobster
- Pete Ohnegian as Limo Driver
- Bill Burr as Jogger
- Chic Daniel as Oleg (uncredited)
- Lori Michele Harris as Anna Llewellyn
- "Is cross-dressing something people kill for these days?"
- – Robert Carver
- Goren: Strick is a straight guy who can only get excited wearing women's clothing. That usually goes hand-in-hand with masochism.
- Eames: I learn something new everyday.
- "The girls say Strick paid them five grand each. And here I thought hockey players and maple syrup were Canada's biggest exports."
- – Eames
- – Robert Goren
Background information and notes
- This episode was based on the Robert Durst case. Durst's long-time friend, Susan Berman, was found murdered execution style. He was questioned regarding her death, but not charged. Berman was known affectionately as a "Jewish Mafia Princess."
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|