|"Night and Fog"|
|←||L&O, Episode 3.13||→|
|Production number: 68018|
First aired: 3 February 1993
| Written By|
René Balcer & Michael S. Chernuchin
A Jew who worked with the Nazis during World War II is accused of killing his wife, a Holocaust survivor.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Chris Noth as Detective Mike Logan
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Michael Moriarty as Executive A.D.A. Benjamin Stone
- Richard Brooks as A.D.A. Paul Robinette
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Carolyn McCormick as Dr. Elizabeth Olivet (credit only)
- Eric Bogosian as Defense Attorney Gary Lowenthal
- Joan Copeland as Judge Rebecca Stein
- Leslie Hendrix as Assistant M.E. Elizabeth Rodgers
- Fred J. Scollay as Judge Andrew Barsky
- Nehemiah Persoff as David Steinmetz
- Reizl Bozyk as Mrs. Liebmann
- Chip Zien as Mr. Green
- Diane Venora as Mara Feder
- Danny Maseng as Rabbi Dworkin
- John Driver as Malcolm Haynes
- Bahni Turpin as Theresa Jones
- Paula Laurence as Mrs. Franzel
- Joe Bacino as Jack O'Malley
- Cookie Rufino as Tina Montoya
- Beryl Bernay as Librarian
- Paul Schulze as EMS Medic
- George Rafferty as 1st Policeman
- Joe Perce as 2nd Policeman
- Alan J. Kitty as Reporter
"My father was a G.I. in World War II. First regiment into Büchenwald. He never forgot how he felt when he saw those people. He wasn't religious, but he said after that day he believed in the devil. This stuff never went away, Mike."
- - Lennie Briscoe
"Ben, you are walking through history. God help us if you fall down."
- - Judge Rebecca Stein
"She wasn't protecting her father. She was protecting her son."
- - Benjamin Stone
Background information and notes
- This episode appears to be based on the John Demjanjuk ("Ivan the Terrible") case. (Source: John Demjanjuk at Wikipedia)
- With a storyline about a Nazi collaborator, it's probably not a coincidence that the episode title "Night and Fog" is also the title of Alain Resnais' famed 1955 documentary about the Nazi concentration camps. "Nacht und Nebel" (German for "Night and Fog") was also a directive of Adolf Hitler resulting in kidnapping and disappearance of many political activists and resistance 'helpers' throughout Nazi Germany's occupied territories. It was a specific punishment for opponents of the Nazis in occupied countries and intended to intimidate local populations into submission by denying families and friends of "les disparus" all knowledge of what had happened to them.
- Actor Eric Bogosian appears as Gary Lowenthal in this episode. Many years later, Bogosian would become a regular cast member on Law & Order: Criminal Intent as Captain Danny Ross.
- In this episode we learn that Detective Lennie Briscoe's father was a G.I. in World War II, and belonged to the first Allied regiment that went into the Büchenwald concentration camp.
Episode scene cards
New York City
| Previous episode:|
"Right to Counsel"
| "Night and Fog"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|
"Promises to Keep"