|←||CI, Episode 4.20||→|
|Production number: E5423|
First aired: 1 May 2005
| Teleplay By|
Gerry Conway & René Balcer
Jean de Segonzac
Detectives Goren and Eames investigate the deaths of five young adults who parked their car on railroad tracks and waited for a fatal crash.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Darrell Hammond as Leonard Timmons
- Jason Antoon as Mr. Smythe
- Susan Bigelow as Mrs. Elverson
- Arye Gross as Hubert Skoller
- Patrick Husted as Frank Elverson
- Alok Tewari as Dr. Bachan
- Tara Greenway as Valerie Skoller
- Lynne Marie Stetson as Eugenie Crawford
- James Nardella as Nicholas Rojakis
- David Jenkins as Carmine Ruggiero
- Zach Wegner as Wes Richmond
- Randy Ryan as Drew Esterhaus
- Leslie Denniston as Donna Crawford
- Paul Harman as Jack Crawford
- Katie Corrado as Annie Ruggerio
- Stella Maeve as Sylvie Skoller
- Ed Hodson as Fire Chief Abruzo
- Jessica Leigh Johnson as Edie Elverson (uncredited)
- Redman Maxfield as Kessler
- Sam Rosen as Steve
- Frank Girardeau as Timmons' Attorney
- Steve Brady as Dugan
- Cedric Turner as Clemente
- Heather Simms as Rosella
- Brent Langdon as Grand Juror
- Ricardo Maldonado as Sammy
- Jeff Binder as Cyrus
- Sherita Delgado as Longbridge Receptionist
- Bell's palsy
- Terminal Decision
- Joanie and Chachi - were used as screen names as part of the Terminal Decision chat room
- Mr. Smythe: Four counts of manslaughter. That's what I get for overestimating the intelligence of a grand jury.
- Alexandra Eames: Just be grateful the D.A. let you off with a plea bargain.
- Mr. Smythe: I don't consider shutting down my website a bargain. All right, Joanie and Chachi, right? This is the last chat I have for them.
- Alexandra Eames: Thank you, you can go do your little dance in Hell now.
Background information and notes
- Captain James Deakins starts wearing an eye patch due to Bell's palsy. Actor Jamey Sheridan himself actually had Bell's palsy when those episodes were filmed. Bell's palsy is a paralysis of the facial nerve resulting in inability to control facial muscles on the affected side. Often the eye in the affected side cannot be closed. The eye must be protected from drying up, or the cornea may be permanently damaged resulting in impaired vision. (Source: Bell's palsy at Wikipedia)
- The episode is named after a famous play by Jean-Paul Sartre. No Exit at Wikipedia
- Actress Stella Maeve makes her first appearance this season. She appears four episodes later in a new role in the episode "False-Hearted Judges".
- This episode shares a few similarities with other episodes in the Law & Order franchise:
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
"The Unblinking Eye"