|"No Good Reason"|
|←||SVU, Episode 19.04||→|
|Production number: 19004|
First aired: 18 October 2017
| Written By|
Julie Martin & Brianna Yellen
The Special Victims Unit work to locate a missing teenager that was a recent victim of sexual cyberbullying.
The Special Victims Unit is called in to investigate the sudden disappearance of a high school student. They soon discover that she was the victim of a nasty cyberbullying attack from her fellow peers and best friend. When she is finally found, she claims that she was raped by three boys from her school at a party, one of them being one of her best friends. The case goes well, until the victim becomes reluctant to testify, due to hatred and bullying from her peers, and Benson must convince her to testify.
Meanwhile, Sheila Porter attempts to challenge Benson's parenting skills as a mother, which infuriates Benson.
After it is discovered that Andrew texted Amanda and implies that he did in fact rape, they bring him in. Andrew subsequently admits his guilt and he only wanted Amanda to like him like the way he liked her but realizes what he has done she would hate him. Barba offers a deal that Andrew would do 18 months and will have to register as a sex offender although the lawyer tries to protest Mrs. Drake accepts the deal and Barba says the Andrew will have to admit an open court that the rape did in fact happen.
In court, Andrew confesses to everything while showing immense guilt at what he has done before sincerely apologizing to Amanda for everything.
Amanda thanks the detectives for everything and asks Benson if she would still go through would coming to her school and the latter agrees. After Amanda and her parents leave, Benson is handed a note and a subpoena for her to appear at trial, as Sheila Porter is petitioning for custody of Noah.
Benson shows up at the school with Amanda who states she is a survivor of sexual assault. Benson then has everyone do an exercise where they admit to past traumatizing experiences. One by one some of the students apologize to Amanda because they endured some of the same things that she did while noting that it was wrong to tease her because of peer pressure. Stacey soon gets up and apologizes to Amanda for not standing up for her because she was not strong enough while hoping Amanda forgives her and that they can be friends again. Touched by her sincerity, Amanda gives her a smile that implies she has forgiven her, something Stacey returns.
- Mariska Hargitay as Lieutenant Olivia Benson
- Kelli Giddish as Detective Amanda Rollins
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola (credit only)
- Peter Scanavino as Detective Dominick Carisi, Jr.
- Raúl Esparza as A.D.A. Rafael Barba
- Brighton Sharbino as Mandy Fowler
- Madison Pettis as Stacey Vanhoven
- Colton Ryan as Andrew Drake
- Geraldine Hughes as Denise Drake
- Erin Davie as Kirsten Fowler
- John Patrick Hayden as Bruce Fowler
- Tyler Dean Flores as Max Rivera
- Katherine Reis as Ashley
- Gary Lee Mahmoud as Alan Munn
- David Raymond Wagner as Leo Ross
- Antonio Edwards Suarez as Al Rivera
- Sandra Elizabeth Rodriguez as Lisa Rivera
- Travis Przybylski as Daniel Ross
- Jacob Rosenbaum as Ethan Cohen
- Nathaniel Stampley as Neal Vanhoven
- Damon Trammell as Process Server
- Will Herzog as Eric
- Jowin Marie Batoon as Kylee
- Avery Rose Pedell as Deanna
- Elainey Bass as Steph
- Bilaal Avaz as Liam
- "Pink cloud" syndrome
- Sheila Porter
- Ellie Porter
- Johnny Drake (aka Johnny D.)
- Noah Porter-Benson
- Trevor Langan
- Olivia: Kids have always been cruel, but when did they become cowards?
- Rollins: Since the invention of the Internet.
- Olivia: What kind of world are our kids going to grow up...
- Rollins: I don't... just whatever we think we're gonna have to worry about, it's not gonna be that. It's gonna be something we never saw coming.
- Rollins [to Mandy Fowler] You know, it might feel good to take control. You know, you can keep a promise to yourself that if it does get bad, you could always do something about it.
- Mandy Fowler: You don't know how I feel.
- Rollins: I know more than you think. You know I told you my name was Amanda, too. Well, when I was your age, I lived in a tiny town in Georgia and everybody gossiped. And I did something stupid and I got a reputation. And it's all about the names that they were calling me: "Easy Ass Amanda" and worse. It took a long time and I realized what other people said about me, it didn't define me. Only I can define me. And when I was old enough, I went and got this. [shows Mandy a tattoo that has her name on on it] It's my name, Amanda. Just to remind myself that's who I am, not any of these other names that I was branded with.
- Carisi: [to Andrew Drake] Listen, Andrew. I've been doing this a long time and I don't ask questions I don't already know the answers to.
- Barba: So one of these boys is guilty. It's like playing three card monte.
- Olivia: Yeah.
- Barba: Who has the most to lose?
- Olivia: I'd say the kid who took the picture of a half-naked 15-year old girl and texted them to everyone in the school.
- Mandy Fowler: [to her classmates] I'm a survivor of sexual assault. I felt broken. I was sad, angry, but then what came after the bullying, I felt like I was underwater, drowning. And I want you to know, what you say, what you say to each other, it hurts. It has consequences.
Background Information and Notes
- The episode is inspired by the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why", with the plot being similar to the first season. The title of the episode is also a riff on the show's title.
- The song in one of Mandy's vlog videos in the open is "Scars to Your Beautiful" by Alessia Cara.
- Actress Brighton Sharbino's sister, Saxon Sharbino, guest starred two episodes earlier in the episode "Mood".
- Rollins mentions losing someone five years ago on a case who was also pink clouding their rape. She's referring to Lindsay Bennett who committed suicide during the episode "Girl Dishonored".
- Benson mentions that Sheila Porter visited her and Noah Porter-Benson in the middle of the night, which happened in the last episode "Contrapasso". She said she just slammed the door on her, rather than deal with her at that time.
Episode scene cards
50 Hill Street
Wollman High School
Wollman High School
|"No Good Reason"
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit