|←||CI, Episode 1.16||→|
|Production number: E2116|
First aired: 17 March 2002
| Teleplay By|
Marlane Gomard Meyer
Marlane Gomard Meyer & René Balcer
Juan J. Campanella
A paroled bank robber is killed two days after he gets out of Sing Sing, and the case puts Goren and Eames on the trail of a nonexistent man.
Gerry Rankin has been living a double life for sixteen years. He's been pretending to be an economist for the UN when in reality, he killed his father-in-law.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Michael Emerson as Gerry Rankin
- Brooke Smith as Tessa Rankin
- Andrew Fiscella as Frank Caspari
- Joseph Ragno as Benny Franconi
- Cara Buono as Charlotte Fielding
- Lindsay Andretta as Natalia Rankin
- Richard Thomsen as Jack Rankin
- Robert Kelly as Detective Ray Valdez
- Lukas N. Skipitaris as Mr. Demetrios
- Ronobir Lahiri as Dr. Singh
- Paul Tiesler as Jason Rankin
- Nathan Perez as Carlos
- Marissa Matrone as Connie
- Kelly Deadmon as Charlotte's Friend
- Oni Faida Lampley as U.N. Official
- Tyrone Mitchell Henderson as Vince
- Jason Butler Harner as Bob
- Joe Osheroff as 2nd Botanical Worker
- Brendan Patrick Connor as 3rd Botanical Worker
- Craig Chester as Thor
- Robert Goren: One thing this line of work teaches us is that guys will do anything for love.
- Alexandra Eames: And money.
- Robert Goren: That's what I live for, Valdez, to make your life easier.
- Detective Valdez: I take it you'll be by later to wash my car?
- Alexandra Eames: The only money I got from my family was the 50 bucks my dad gave me for my prom dress.
- Robert Goren: Is that the same year you were selling apples outside city hall?
- Alexandra Eames: It was matchsticks, and it was snowing.
- Charlotte Fielding: I want to know how you got my pager number.
- Alexandra Eames: It's just one of those things we get to do when we're investigating a murder.
- Alexandra Eames: Ready?
- Robert Goren: Yeah. Let's play.
|“||You played me. Good cop, bad cop. I shoulda remembered. All cops are bad cops.||”|
–Charlotte Fielding, briefly reverting back to Cookie Caspari
|“||You're a hero, Gerry. You did what heroes do. You played the hand you were dealt.||”|
–Robert Goren, attempting to talk Gerry out of murdering his kids.
Background information and notes
- This episode shares some similarities with the Jean-Claude Romand case. Romand was a French impostor and murderer who pretended to be a medical doctor. He killed his family when he was about to be exposed. Romand fooled his family and friends for 18 years; they thought he was a successful medical professional and researcher in the World Health Organization. He managed to give an impression that he had researched arteriosclerosis and he had contacts with political figures. His trial began on 25 June 1996, and on 6 July 1996 he was sentenced to life imprisonment. (Source: Jean-Claude Romand at Wikipedia) In the episode, Gerry Rankin has a double life while telling his family that he is an economist for the United Nations. As his world of lies unravels, murder seems to be his only way out.
- The script from "Phantom" was used for the Paris enquêtes criminelles pilot episode "Fantôme".
Law & Order: Criminal Intent