|←||SVU, Episode 8.22||→|
|Production number: 08021|
First aired: 22 May 2007
| Written By|
Arthur W. Forney
Darius Parker goes on trial for the rape and murder of a woman, and in the process digs up dirt on Elliot Stabler, Olivia Benson, Odafin Tutuola, Donald Cragen, and A.D.A. Casey Novak to use in his defense.
After leaving the court, Fin is met by his son who apologizes for telling Darius about the drugs.
Soon Stabler argues with Munch while Benson tried to mend the fences. The argument is brushed aside when Kathy walks in wanting to talk with her husband about something important. Kathy tells Elliot that she wants him to come back home not because of her ego but because she is pregnant with their fifth child.
Meanwhile, Benson meets with her brother, who questions her on why she did not tell him she was in trouble. Simon tells her that he lied for her while Benson is incredulous that he would do so because their relationship is already common knowledge. She begs him to go back home to his family while she faces the music but Simon tells her that she is his family he is not gonna stand by and let her be hard because of him. Benson appreciated his concern and went to face the trial.
Cragen shows Detective Lake who is going to take over while the rest of them are on trial. Lake soon speaks to Fin and helps him find out that another cop gave Braden info. Darius confronts his mother on the stand, revealing all of her past deeds on him, despite him being her son. He questions her on the identity of her alleged rapist, as Teresa refuses to answer but soon reveals that her own father raped her. This elicits shock from all, while Darius denies this though he is shocked to learn further but soon calls her a liar.
The verdict is given and Darius is found not guilty at trial. Shortly after the trial, Kathleen is arrested while her father supports her, Cragen gets called into a hearing, and Olivia meets with IA.
Outside the court, Darius meets Ken and Fin who both promptly disown him for what he did to the victim and the good detectives. Fin tells Darius that he will be back in court, as Darius believes that Fin will always be following him for the rest of his life. However, Fin says he won't bother with him, stating he'll never think about Darius again but knows Darius will always be in fear of that. He and Ken walk off, as Darius looks after them.
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang (credit only)
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake
- Steven Weber as Defense Attorney Matthew Braden
- Ludacris as Darius Parker
- Michael Weston as Simon Marsden
- Ernest Waddell as Ken Randall
- John Schuck as Chief of Detectives Muldrew
- Peter Gerety as Judge Peter Harrison
- Isabel Gillies as Kathy Stabler
- Vincent Spano as F.B.I. Agent Dean Porter
- Judith Light as Judge Elizabeth Donnelly
- LisaGay Hamilton as Teresa Randall
- Tiffany Thompson as Angela Bowden
- Allison Siko as Kathleen Stabler
- Jack McGee as Lieutenant Allan James
- Nancy Grace as Herself
- Star Jones as Herself
- Esther Barlow as Woman
- April Armstrong as Reporter #1
- Bill Kocis as Reporter #2
- Katie McGee as Reporter #3
- LinDel Sandlin as Jury Foreperson
- Clay Broaddus as Joe (uncredited)
- Peter Riga as Court Clerk (uncredited)
- Fin [to Ken]: You told Darius about the drugs and the gun, didn't you?
- Ken Randall: Ten years ago! I mean, I looked in the glove box and found the stash. As usual, you screamed at me. I was ten.
- Fin: There you go again. Will you change the channel?
- Ken Randall: That, that right there is why I always went to Darius. Mom was so busy blaming you and you were so busy working, there was no one to hear me. How could I know he'd use it against you? How could I know he'd have a reason to?
- Fin (yelling): I wasn't there for you. Okay, you're angry. I get it. Get over it, man! Get a therapist. Work it out. I'm not trying to hear this right now!
- Fin: My ex can be a pain in the ass.
- Munch: I've had some experience with that. I'll give her your love.
- Kathy Stabler [to Elliot]: You said you wanted to work things out. You said that you were ready to come home.
- Elliot: Look, Kathy, I'm sorry.
- Kathy Stabler: I don't care. Not about my pride, or my ego, or anything else.
- Kathy Stabler: I need you to come home now, Elliot. Not for the kids. For me.
- Elliot: What's changed?
- Kathy Stabler: I'm pregnant.
- Olivia [to Fin]: You're gonna get through this. I want you to know that you have friends around here.
- Fin: Thanks, especially for making sure my ex didn't become a fugitive.
- Olivia: Simon? What are you doing here? This isn't a good time.
- Simon Marsden: I know it's not. You're in trouble. I mean, you could have called me and told me yourself.
- Olivia: You've been talking to Dean Porter.
- Olivia [to Simon]: There's nothing you can do except go be with your family, okay?
- Simon Marsden: You are my family. That's why I told your captain I forced you to give me the money when I jumped bail.
- Olivia: You did what?
- Simon Marsden: That I threatened to reveal our relationship.
- Olivia: He already knows our relationship.
- Simon Marsden: I also said you had no idea I jumped bail at the time and you just wanted me out of your life.
- Olivia: Well, then you lied to my superior officer.
- Simon Marsden: So did you.
- Simon Marsden: (to Olivia) You put your job and your freedom on the line for me. You think I'm gonna stand by and do nothing?
- Allen James: You made sure I lost my rank because you couldn't resist making me look bad in front of the bosses. Now it's my turn.
- Cragen: That was 15 years ago. Some people would call you obsessed.
- Allen James: I saw the opportunity and I took it.
- Cragen: You weren't command material, Allen. You rose above your abilities; even a turd can float.
- Allen James: If the state loses this trial over the perception of police misconduct, they'll ask for your resignation.
- Cragen: Which they won't get.
- Allen James: Then they'll transfer you to outer Mongolia.
- Darius: Do what I do. Feel nothing.
- Ken: I don't believe that Darius, mom said-
- Darius: Mom said what? Man, the bitch lied. Come on man, you too old to be this gullible Ken.
- Ken: I stuck by you!
- Darius: Oh, do you want a medal?
- Ken: I can't do it anymore.
- Darius: Yeah, well me either. I don’t want to know any of you.
- Fin: You didn't get a free pass today.
- Darius: Always the cop, so what you gonna do follow me for the rest of my life?
- Fin: I don't need to do that Darius. I'll never think about you again, that's all you will do.
Background information and notes
- The title refers to something that is in imminent danger and difficult to overcome; it is basically describing Captain Cragen's job on the line, Detective Benson bringing money to her brother, who was being treated as a suspect, and is caught by Internal Affairs, Detective Stabler's second eldest daughter, Kathleen, arrested because of the DWI and covering it up, and Fin and Casey's trial case against Fin's nephew Darius.
- The music that plays at the end of the episode was originally from the movie Crash, which featured Ludacris in a prominent role. The song is Sense of Touch by Mark Isham.
- Chester Lake is transferred to the Manhattan special victims unit.
- This marks the final appearance of Darius Parker.
Episode scene cards
Trial Part 29
Trial Part 29
New York State
Trial Part 29
Trial Part 44
Internal Affairs Bureau
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit