|"Sonata for Solo Organ"|
|←||L&O, Episode 1.21||→|
|Production number: 66226|
First aired: 2 April 1991
| Teleplay By|
Joe Morgenstern & Michael S. Chernuchin
Joe Morgenstern & Michael Duggan
Stone and Robinette prosecute a surgeon and the wealthy father of a transplant patient for illegally obtaining a kidney.
- George Dzundza as Sergeant Max Greevey
- Chris Noth as Detective Mike Logan
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Michael Moriarty as Executive A.D.A. Benjamin Stone
- Richard Brooks as A.D.A. Paul Robinette
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Bill Moor as Defense Attorney Bill Patton
- Tanya Berezin as Arraignment Judge Rosalyn Lenz
- Fred J. Scollay as Judge Warren Pursley
- Carolyn McCormick as Dr. Elizabeth Olivet (uncredited)
- Paul Roebling as Dr. James Reberty
- Deborah Hedwall as Ellen Hale
- Dominic Chianese as Dan Rubell
- Chuck Cooper as Drew MacDaniel
- Lonny Price as Dr. Lieber
- Randy Graff as Dr. Martha Kershan
- Fritz Weaver as Philip Woodleigh
- Ralph Byers as Judge Barsky
- Ann Dowd as Teresa Franz
- Kayla Black as Nurse Davis
- Jennifer Van Dyck as Joanna Woodleigh
- Zach Grenier as Lemish
- Leslie Lyles as Reberty's Ex-Wife
- Kevin O'Morrison as Judge Hollis Brennan
- Peter McRobbie as Manager
- Roger Robinson as Dr. Ames
- Rose Arrick as Mrs. Birnbaum
- John MacKay as Nevins
- Olga Merediz as Rosaria Mendez
- Brian Burke as Hospital Clerk
- Marcella Lowery as Nurse
- Jonathan Teague Cook as Bum
- Joe Pentangelo as Curran
- Nick Muglia as Schull
- Gareth Williams as Technician
- John Santamaria as Bailiff
"People talk about feeling violated when some punk breaks into their apartment and steals a TV set. I felt raped."
- - Drew McDaniel
"The public must understand that the Organ Transplant Network is the one true democracy. One of the few instances where money doesn’t talk. At all."
- - O.T.N. Executive
"If you prosecute him, he’ll die. I know he will. And for what? Mr. MacDaniel is going to be a very wealthy man."
"With only one kidney."
"Just like I have, Mr. Stone. The hope is we’ll both live long and happy lives."
"Please believe me, I’m glad you’re healthy again. I know how close to death you were. But, Ms. Woodleigh, do you really think your father would have acted any differently, if you had needed a heart instead of a kidney?"
- - Joanna Woodleigh and Benjamin Stone
"It’s easier to bust out of Attica then to leave a hospital without paying."
- - Max Greevey
"Whoa! Talk about getting your pocket picked!"
- - Mike Logan
"Grand theft kidney. Terrific."
- - Donald Cragen
"What's it going to take to make you happy, Stone?"
"The Mets in the Series, peace on Earth, and Dr. Reberty in Dannemora."
- - Reberty's Attorney
Background information and notes
- This episode was inspired by the "Kidney Thief" urban legend. The legend tells the story of someone who wakes up with only one kidney, which was surgically removed for transplantation.
- This episode was later adapted into the Law & Order: UK episode "Sacrifice".
- Goof: Kevin O'Morrison is credited as "Judge Boyark" but his nameplate states his name is "Hollis Brennan".
Episode scene cards
Office of the Organ
Elaine Hale's Apartment
Rikers Island Jail
Office of Assistant
| Previous episode:|
| "Sonata for Solo Organ"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|
"The Blue Wall"