|←||CI, Episode 3.03||→|
|Production number: E4501|
First aired: 12 October 2003
| Teleplay By|
Marlane Gomard Meyer
Marlane Gomard Meyer & René Balcer
In this episode, Detectives Goren and Eames are called to investigate the case of a young man found murdered close to a church.
During the investigation, Goren and Eames interview the victim's mother, as they discover a clue that connect the crime to religious practitioners. Later they learn that two former convicts, who are followers of Santería, preyed on the mother's weakness by tricking her into believing she has psychic ability after the murder of her son. It is not long before the detectives find holes in the couple's story, and their attention is diverted much closer to one of them who seems the most likely suspect. Nevertheless, the team find they need one more missing link to make their case.
An interesting part of this story comes near ending, when Goren must get inside the exploited woman's mind to convince her that she truly has special clairvoyant powers.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Bobby Cannavale as Julian Bello
- Jane Adams as Sylvia Campbell
- Anne Twomey as Lyz Webster
- Florencia Lozano as Octavia Ruiz
- Michael Nouri as Henry Webster
- Lee Rosen as Clayton Webster
- Fran Brill as Ilene Maxwell
- Brennan Brown as Jerry Rivers
- Antone Pagan as Eduardo Romero Mendez
- Michael Fawcett as Leland Olds
- Jason Manuel Olazabal as Detective Upmann
- Adam Gordon as Slate
- Patrick Samay as Severen
- Rafael Osorio as Ernie
- Joan McMonagle as Joan
- Edgar Godineaux as Nestor
- Alexandra Eames: It's amazing what one copper mine can do for a family.
- Robert Goren: Of all places to ditch a car, Long Island City would not be my first choice.
- Alexandra Eames: Maybe one day we'll get lucky and robbery will be the motive.
- Alexandra Eames: That's a neat trick. He knew I was pregnant from the store. If she had said crab cakes, he would have said crawling babies.
- Robert Goren: Well, maybe it is a trick. Maybe the trick's on her.
Background information and notes
- The episode title "The Gift" is a reference to the psychic abilities or gift that Lyz Webster received, when she had really been the victim of spiritualized suggestion.
- Eames mentions feeling the effects of pregnancy (morning sickness) after volunteering to be a surrogate for her sister in the episode "Undaunted Mettle".
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
"But Not Forgotten"