|"The Pardoner's Tale"|
|←||CI, Episode 1.08||→|
|Production number: E2112|
First aired: 18 November 2001
| Written By|
A reporter who has a history of uncovering police corruption is gunned down in the street and the case leads to the buying and selling of pardons.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Kevin Breznahan as Lewis
- Kate Burton as Stephanie Uffland
- Joseph Siravo as Joe Narocki
- Walt MacPherson as Roy Fitzgerald
- William Hill as Jason Richards
- Delores Mitchell as Sandra Generae
- Mark Zimmerman as Richard Ufland
- Matt Servitto as Derek Freed
- John Heard as Larry Wiegert
- Kristine Nielsen as Linda Basinger
- Annette Tapent as Louise Wiegert
- Kevin Carroll as Greg Generae
- Marilyn Matarrese as Sandy Liston (uncredited)
- Mary Stout as Weigert's Secretary
- Jack McCormack as Rawley
- Joe Passaro as CSU Technician
- Michael DeNigris as Arthur
- Frank Bonsangue as Mike
- Louis Cancelmi as Phil
- Dennis Paladino as Salazzo
- John Cariani as Perry
- Kevin Carolan as Bill
- Ismail Bashey as Patel
- Denise Wilbanks as Sarah
- Polly Adams as Roscoe
- Kristi Kirk as LaTanya
- Claywood Sempliner as Lowy
- Steve Cell as Dipello
- Julia Gibson as Maureen
- Michael Goodwin as McGowan
- Bill Kocis as Isaacs
- Amy Korb as Waitress (uncredited)
- Tyna Tyler as Secretary (uncredited)
- 15th Precinct
- New York Ledger
- New York 12th Assembly District Office
- White Owl Sanitation
- Billy Carter
- Donald Nixon
- Roger Clinton Jr.
- Robert Goren: I know people. People in the Fed. People that owe me favors. I can get someone in so deep even I couldn't find them.
- Robert Goren: I'm not arresting her.
- Alexandra Eames: Count me out too. Detectives.
- Ron Carver: We're supposed to be better than the people we're prosecuting.
- Robert Goren: I've got to see a buddy about a '71 Malibu. Want to come?
- Alexandra Eames: Sure, I love meeting your buddies.
- Alexandra Eames: Declared a fugitive in 1997. I guess that qualifies as travelling.
- Nawrocki's Secretary: Here, let me highlight it for you.
- Robert Goren: That's okay. The search warrant doesn't stipulate highlighting.
- Robert Goren: Boo! Made you look.
- Alexandra Eames: 351 four-barrel. Who are you trying to outrun?
- Lewis: Whoa. I think I'm in love.
- Alexandra Eames: Give it up, garbage boy!
- Alexandra Eames: There they go, down the rabbit hole.
- Robert Goren: That's not going along, Larry, that's stickin' it to ya!
Background information and notes
- Actor John Heard also appeared in Law & Order and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
- This episode revealed many resemblances to Geoffrey Chaucer's The Pardoner's Tale, which, like this episode, is a story with characters motivated by greed. The "pardoner" is very much like some of the characters in this episode who are themselves in positions of power, but corrupt.
- Goren's car expert friend Lewis makes his first appearance. He makes another appearance in the later episode "Cherry Red".
Episode scene cards
|Saint Justin's Church
209 Avenue B Tuesday, February 6
|Home Of Morris Abernathy
411 East 145th Street Thursday, February 8
|Office Of The Treasurer
Saint Justin's Church Friday, February 9
|Office Of The Rector
Saint Justin's Church Tuesday, February 13
|Saint Justin's Church
Friday, February 23
Correctional Facility Tuesday, February 27
|"The Pardoner's Tale"
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
"The Good Doctor"