|←||CI, Episode 2.08||→|
|Production number: E3210|
First aired: 17 November 2002
| Teleplay By|
Marlane Gomard Meyer
Marlane Gomard Meyer & René Balcer
Goren and Eames' search for a retired policeman's missing daughter uncovers a terrorist plot.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Rider Strong as Ethan Edwards
- John Bolger as FBI Agent O'Dell
- Manny Perez as Jorge Galvez
- Reathel Bean as Joe Edwards
- Mary Shultz as Vera Edwards
- Sam Coppola as Neal Dornan
- Adrianne Frost as Leslie Dornan
- Andrea Ciannavei as Janey Woods
- Kathleen Doyle as Nancy Dornan
- Donald Silva as Agent Asher
- Michael Creo as Detective Sims
- Piter Marek as Ali Al-Javad
- Eric Rath as Newscaster
- Eddie Pepitone as Counterman
- Michelle Maryk as Reporter
- Daniel Breaker as Zach
- Michelle Hurst as Audrey
- Daryl Edwards as Jorge's Employer
- Belle Calaway as Phyllis
- James Ferazzi as K-9 Officer
- Waleed Zuaiter as Khalid
- Dyron Holmes as CSU Tech #1
- Mia Tagano as CSU Tech #2
- Kelvin Davis as SWAT Cop
- Richard Robichaux as Student (uncredited)
- George W. Bush
- New Jersey
- Operation Desert Storm
- Singular Singles
- Smithsonian Magazine
- Vietnam War
- Alexandra Eames: Go ahead. Impress me.
- Robert Goren: It's Aramaic. It's the language that Christ spoke. Parts of the Old Testament were written in it. But don't ask me what it means.
- Alexandra Eames: The more I know, the less I sleep.
- K-9 Officer: This corner here is positive for explosives.
- Robert Goren: Do you have any idea how much?
- K-9 Officer: Judging by the way Homer's bouncing around, I'd say a lot.
- Alexandra Eames: So much for sleep.
- Robert Goren: He wouldn't be the first person to find God behind bars.
- James Deakins: Well... Some people find Allah, some people find Jesus. There are many teams in the league.
- James Deakins: Suicide bomber? When the hell did this kid decide that's what he wanted to be when he grows up?
- Alexandra Eames: Doesn't look like he's planning to grow up.
- Ethan Edwards: I was sent by God.
- Alexandra Eames: So were we.
|“||"Night after night on my bed, I sought my true love. I sought him, but not found him. I call Him, but He does not answer." In the trade, we call this a "tell", Ethan. You didn't write the verse on Leslie's wall by mistake. You wrote because you were calling out to God. And He's not answering. And you haven't felt this lost since that summer you went to Appalachia when your parents separated. And that is your personal struggle, your jihad. To find connection to something bigger than yourself. And nothing's bigger than God. And the moment you realized you lost connection with Him, was when you were watching Jorge kill Leslie.||”|
–Robert Goren to Ethan Edwards.
- Alexandra Eames: God's will.
- Robert Goren: Let's hope so.
Background information and notes
- In this episode we learn that Detective Robert Goren's mother was a librarian, and that he is "one of six people" who reads the Smithsonian Magazine. He also read the Koran to impress a girl.
Episode scene cards
| Previous episode:|
| "The Pilgrim"|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|