|←||CI, Episode 3.01||→|
|Production number: E4502|
First aired: 28 September 2003
| Teleplay By|
Stephanie Sengupta & René Balcer
Detectives Goren and Eames investigate the murder of a promising young architecture student.
The murder of an architect working on a design to replace the World Trade Center leads Goren and Eames to investigate another, famous architect whom the victim was studying. Once the unusual martial status of this person is discovered, the available evidence points to only one suspect. In addition, a previously unknown connection the two architects had is exposed.
The murdered architect turned out to be the illegitimate son of the famous architect. One of the famous architect's wives, the pregnant one, killed the illegitimate son because she thought he would ruin her husband. The famous architect mourns over the loss of his illegitimate son who had the same vision as he did.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Olek Krupa as Ben Laurette
- David Costabile as Professor Roth
- Laura Stepp as Sydney Laurette
- Jessica Hecht as Meredith Breen
- Michael Hogan as Noah Preston
- Davis Hall as James Adler
- Linda Miller as Detective Morris
- Jim R. Coleman as Officer Weitz
- Robert C. Kirk as Sergeant Murray
- Peggity Price as Sara Laurette
- Neil Jain as Ari
- Ron Domingo as Marquez
- Nancy Farrell as Eileen
- Sarah Bloom as Anna
- Maureen Anderman as Abigail
- Meredith Zinner as Judith
- Joe Costa as Jess
- Karen Ludwig as Bergen County Clerk
- Jones Miller as Secretary
- Rena Strober as Clerk
|“||It can't be everyday they have a giant nickel outside their bank.||”|
|“||I don't need pictures of Sarah to remind me I'm married.||”|
- Alexandra Eames: For a guy who likes chaos he's about to get it in spades.
- Robert Goren: Well, buildings may crumble, but infamies are forever.
|“||Library card. Man after your own heart.||”|
–Alexandra Eames, to Robert Goren
- Ben Laurette: Whether you like it or not, my work has entered your subconscious.
- Alexandra Eames: Mm. And I thought it was last night's potstickers.
|“||She was the tail wagging the dog.||”|
- Alexandra Eames: Well, I told him.
- Robert Goren: What'd he say?
- Alexandra Eames: He gave me a big hug. He said it was a great thing I was doing for my sister and he said when the time comes he'll hook you up with a temporary partner.
- Robert Goren: Oh no! I didn't even think of that. What'd you say?
- Alexandra Eames: I pity the fool.
- James Deakins: How 'bout our gal, huh? Surrogate mom.
|“||I guess strangers with badges aren't exactly strangers.||”|
|“||If he wanted to get inside Laurette's head, he needed more blondes in his life.||”|
Background information and notes
- In this episode, Detective Eames mentions that she had embarked upon a surrogate pregnancy, as a solemn favor to her sister who was too fragile to carry her own baby, leaving Goren with the possibility of having a new partner during her absence. Eames' surrogate motherhood was written into the script as actress Kathryn Erbe was herself pregnant.
- Actor Olek Krupa (Ben Laurette) appeared as several different characters on Law & Order and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
"A Person of Interest"
Law & Order: Criminal Intent